CHARP has maintained a relationship with the Reid Park community since 2009 and, in partnership with the Reid Park Neighborhood Association, has been able to implement many exciting initiatives over this period of time.
Reid Park is a historically African-American community located along Charlotte’s West Boulevard corridor, just five minutes from the CLT International airport. Many of the neighborhood’s residents are homeowners who have lived in the neighborhood for decades. The neighborhood’s rich history is depicted in this mural, located on the side of Reid Park Elementary School:
In addition to the community’s residents, Habitat for Humanity is a major stakeholder in the neighborhood, having already built 26 homes in the community since 2005 and planning to build approximately 15 more in the next year.
CHARP has partnered with both Habitat for Humanity and the Neighborhood Association to implement the following initiatives:
- Youth-Senior luncheon series (funded by Crossroads Charlotte)
- Holiday Social events (2010 and 2011)
- City of Charlotte Neighborhood Matching Grant to fund purchase of community lawn equipment
- Application for KaBOOM grant pending to build community playground
- Multiple clean-ups with UNC Charlotte student volunteers and partnerships with local churches